Thursday, April 27, 2006

Angry Atheists

Rabbi Marc Gellman:

I think I need to understand atheists better. I bear them no ill will. I don't think they need to be religious to be good, kind and charitable people, and I have no desire to debate or convert them. I do think they are wrong about the biggest question, “Are we alone?” and I will admit to occasionally viewing atheists with the kind of patient sympathy often shown to me by Christians who can't quite understand why the Good News of Jesus' death and resurrection has not reached me or my people. However, there is something I am missing about atheists: what I simply do not understand is why they are often so angry.

So we disagree about God. I'm sometimes at odds with Yankee fans, people who like rap music and people who don't like animals, but I try to be civil. I don't know many religious folk who wake up thinking of new ways to aggravate atheists, but many people who do not believe in God seem to find the religion of their neighbors terribly offensive or oppressive, particularly if the folks next door are evangelical Christians. I just don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Same sex marriage is a topic that is coming to our town of Westerly. We have an openly gay politician named Daryl Finizio who is running for town council. The problem that I have with it is we are a town with strong Roman Catholic core beliefs. How can a man who lives with his male lover properly represent all of the values that I feel so strongly about.

I am ashamed that he is running for office in my town. I consider myself to be a conservative Democrat and Daryl is running as a Republican so I probably wouldn't have voted for him anyway but I will continue to get the word out at my church and recruit other church members to write letters to the editor in the coming weeks!

Sadly,
Bryan