Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Yes, there are Conservative Sox Fans

Shannen Coffin wrote at NRO last month about being a Sox fan and a Republican. The concluding paragraph encapsulates my feelings, too:
My baseball defenses have been eroded by a team that's finally begun to play up to its potential, just as my confidence in President Bush's ability to seal the electoral deal in November has swung back to the positive side of the dial....Let me now address those you of you who will say that my twisted logic holds no water. That John Kerry is supposedly the Red Sox fan (albeit one who once described his favorite Sox player as Eddie Yost, who spent the greater part of his career with the Washington Senators but never played for the Red Sox), so as goes his faltering campaign, so should go the Sawx. That the Sox are owned by Hollywood libs who date the likes of Katie Couric. That it is Sox fans - the voters of Massachusetts - who gave John Kerry the national platform in the first place. That angry Sox fans are a perfect analog to the angry disaffected liberals filling the streets of New York this week. That, as Rudy claimed Monday night, the GOP is the N.Y. Yankees of American politics. To you I say this: butt out. To quote recent political philosopher Jim McGreevey, "At a point in every person's life, one has to look deeply into the mirror of one's soul and decide one's unique truth in the world, not as we may want to see it or hope to see it, but as it is." My truth, ladies and gentlemen, is that I am a conservative Red Sox fan. And for now, all is right in my world.

Here's hoping October (and November 2) go well!

No comments: