Monday, April 12, 2004

Anthem bashing blemish: Habs fans taint victory

Well, my ancestral home is at it again. My "cousins" north of the border have seen fit to disgrace themselves again by booing the U.S. National Anthem[Boston Herald]. Now, not all feel this way of course, one is Quebec native Martin Lapointe who registered his disgust:
"I really think it's a lack of respect. Those Americans are out their in Iraq, fighting for the United States. There's no respect there,'' the Bruins' assistant captain said following the B's 3-2 loss in Game 3. "I would encourage the fans to be better next game, because it's not the way to do it.
Am I embarrassed? Yes, I am,'' he went on. "There's no need for that. The national anthem should be respected. What they did tonight . . . I feel ashamed.''
As do I, even as far removed as I am from my "homeland." Yet, I can't help but think that there are many in this country who have let their hatred for President Bush so consume them that they secretly wish they could do the same as their "enlightened" northern neighbors.

No comments: