Tuesday, May 06, 2003

The fact that France helped Iraqis escape may be enough to finally make a Franco-American renounce his heritage! Well, not quite...my theory on any of us who have European roots is that our ancestors were the independent and risk taking folks who weren't happy toiling away as their father's did and decided to get out and come to the land of opportunity. Also, our ancestors had to shake the religious and economic repression in Europe that had become the status quo at various times and felt that the place to do it was over here, in America, land of the free. That doesn't mean there aren't some fine individuals back in the various home countries, but I just think that a good percentage of the more adventuresome and rambunctious characters crossed the pond. That would also explain how we as American's are so very much "acta non verba" and why we get all of the supposedly negative stereotypical traits assigned to us by the European chattering class, even if we are sometimes arrogant, loud cowboys. When a country continually puts it on the line, like a great prize fighter, some cockiness is required, don't you think? It's important to point out that I think some admirable individuals didn't give up on their respective homelands, and their progeny continue to fight the good fight. (Andrew Sullivan is one and Tony Blair is another.) This all crossed my mind while chewing over how to reconcile being proud of my French ancestry and possibly even the latest Doonesbury strip this past Sunday's circular. I think Trudeau went too far with his last blurb, but I sympathize with his belief regarding the French reaction to the destruction of the WTC compared to a theoretical reaction by Americans should the Eiffel Tower suffer the same fate. But I digress, I guess it would be a good psychological study of the motivation and make-up of various migratory peoples and/or individuals throughout history. Sounds like a psychohistorical study to me. Wonder if anyone has done something on this? I'll have to look into this.

No comments: