Friday, April 25, 2003

If you've noticed, I tend to agree with most things that Andrew Sullivan says, and always enjoy reading him. That being said, while I generally agree that Sen. Santorum may be espousing an over-reach of government into our private lives, I think Sullivan is getting a little hysterical over the whole thing. He's now taken to posting some emails from people who now say they won't vote Republican because of Santorum's remarks. To me, this kind of knee jerk reaction is ludicruous and intellectually pedestrian. There are a few things that I don't agree with the Republicans on, but in general, a single issue isn't going to make me desert the party. A single candidate, maybe. I think that Sullivan's problem is that the issue hits too close to home and is also something that has been thrown right into his commentarian wheelhouse. As a gay Republican, he is almost uniquely qualified to speak to the issue. His POV has to be considered as the POV of the average gay/lesbian, but it just seems he is getting pulled along by the media hysteria that he usually is so adept at identifying and routing out. Sen. Santorum does not have the signal ability to enact such a police state mentality, even if that's what he really meant. And with Senators like Olympia Snowe and Lincoln Chafee around, you can be sure that the Republican Party as a whole won't condone such action either. Andrew, chill out.

Note: I agreed with Sen. Chafee on this one.

No comments: